View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
jobleau
Tiny Dick Ultimate User

Thanks Hoverfly for the thread. I find it kinda of refreshing and it should be fun to read what we guys do when we are not here.

As for me, I've had many hobbies in my life. It started with electronics, fixing tube radios at around 12 y/o. Remember those and TVs too that had glowing lights inside? I guess that tells my age. Over the years I went thru electronics, pneumatic, mechanic, electro-mechanic, photography, robotics, computers and probably a couple of others I forget. I just love technology, always have and it looks I always will.

Today, I mostly concentrate in computer technologies including computers themselves, networking, communications, internet and security. I became good enough with those I was appointed as a technology consultant and advisor by my company and do this daily. This is not only due to my knowledge of computer technologies but also to the built along the years knowledge in the other hobbies.

Although I switched hobbies a lot during my life, one has always been there from my teen years. That hobby is firearms and everything related to them. Over the years, I have accumulated a small collection, in all sorts of form and calibers. In my teen's, in the air force cadets, I was what they called a sharp shooter, grouping 10 bullets in a less than 1 inch circle at a 100 yards using iron sights, not a scope. Wish I was still that good, but I'm still a good shot even if age an eyesight have taken their toll. Having to get bifocals glasses was the worst thing by far. My accuracy dropped like 20-25%. If you can't clearly see the sights, it's pretty hard to hit your target.

It took me a couple of years, but eventually I manage to think that thru and with the help of an optician, I got several versions of glasses made specifically for shooting. While we still have some optimization work to do on them, the current prototype has allowed me to bring my accuracy back up to a much better level.

While I never hunted, I wish I had. I'm also an excellent cook, another long time hobby, I love to do different type of cooking outside the average like wild meat or exotic foods. Some people have qualified my cooking as gourmet. Having the pleasure of bringing in my own gathered meat would be great I think.

But I do all sorts of target shooting, including hand guns, long range riffles, skeet and trap. Each of those require different sets of skills that are fun to maintain and exercise.

P.S.: I know firearms are a 'touchy' subject to some people. If you are part of them and would like to have a civilized and informed discussion, I would be more than happy to oblige. But if you are to bash or discriminate, please ignore this and just go on. I don't need your drama and won't get into it.

Also, I'm French speaking so please excuse me if something looks weird when you read this. If it does not make sense to you, just ask.

Last edited by jobleau; 01-13-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
jobleau is offline   Reply With Quote