View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
MarkBld
Tiny Dick Intermediate

Thanks for your response. You may have somewhat misunderstood me though. Regarding how I make cakes, I've tried doing it the right way (i.e., carefully blending ingredients as per a recipe) and the result was no different from when I did it my way. The texture may have been nicer; but it's a certain taste I'm looking for and it just wasn't there. Nor does it seem to make much difference in the taste if I use butter, vegetable oil, or no shortening at all in the cake batter. Of course, I should confess I use more flour than sugar - which, I think, is ass-backwards. But since diabetes runs in my family, I'm trying to limit sugar wherever possible. I should also confess that, except for deserts (and I do make a very good cheesecake), I strive for blandness - but only because of the dogs, who I feed "people food"; I only use commercial dog food to supplement their diet. Here's my thinking: dogs have been eating "dog food" for maybe a hundred years; but they've been eating "table scraps" for thousands of years. Not that mine get table scraps: I get the table scraps.

A neighbor of mine cooks a lot - she even makes her own pasta. She can spend literally several days preparing a special dinner. I simply can't see putting that much time and effort into an enterprise that completely disappears off the face of the earth in a couple hours' time. (I may be a bit too pragmatic.)
MarkBld is offline   Reply With Quote